Atlanta Probate Lawyer
Probate is the process through which trust and estate assets are transferred after a person’s death. After the death of a loved one, it can be overwhelming trying to handle the estate administration process without outside guidance, particularly during the process of grieving. The Atlanta probate lawyers at MendenFreiman can assist you with all aspects of the Georgia probate process, including:
- Probating the will – The will must be submitted to court along with sufficient evidence proving that the document is in fact the will of the deceased.
- Identifying and gathering assets – All property of the estate must be identified, located and taken into possession so that it can be properly distributed.
- Collecting money owed to the estate – Debts owed to the deceased or to the estate should be collected to maximize the value of the estate. Demands for payment, negotiations or legal proceedings may be necessary.
- Appraising estate assets – Obtaining an accurate appraisal is essential to a full and fair distribution according to the terms of the will.
- Handling claims / paying outstanding debts – Claims against the estate must be settled before distributions to heirs and beneficiaries can be made. Settling claims may include paying them from the estate, or negotiating or litigating disputed claims.
- Preparing estate tax returns and filings – Taxes owed by the estate also need to be paid before other distributions. The estate’s personal representative is also responsible for filing a final tax return at the closing of the estate.
- Distributing assets according to the will – Gifts, bequests and devises are not always clearly spelled out in the will. Individuals may be named individually or only by class, and multi-generational transfers or other provisions can be confusing. Trust MendenFreiman to correctly interpret complicated will provisions and help the executor distribute assets in accordance with the testator’s wishes.
- Preparing the final accounting – An accurate and complete accounting will help ensure that the estate is distributed properly and may help prevent or resolve disputes or challenges that may otherwise arise.
MendenFreiman attorneys have many years of probate law experience and will provide you with trusted and efficient legal counsel throughout the probate process.
Atlanta Probate Lawyers Committed to You and Your Family
If you lack the time, resources and knowledge to handle the trust and estate probate process on your own, our skilled and compassionate probate lawyers are here to help you. Our Atlanta probate lawyers can also provide assistance in cases where there is no will or where the estate planning process was insufficient.