Amy V. McGehee
Amy McGehee is an associate in MendenFreiman’s tax controversy and collection and tax planning practice areas. Amy also practices in the areas of estate planning and business law. She joined the firm in 2019 and has extensive experience counseling clients in a wide variety of matters; including tax controversies with the IRS and state taxing agencies; drafting, filing and negotiating offers in compromise, penalty abatement requests, installment agreements, and “currently not collectible” status; and stopping collection action such as wage garnishments, levies, and asset liens. She also represents business owners with payroll and employment tax issues.
Amy has spent her career advising and representing business owners in transactional matters, complex tax planning and business succession planning, entity selection and formation matters, business organization and reorganization, as well as operational compliance matters and governance matters. She has experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating general business contracts ranging from employment agreements to commercial leases and drafting tax opinions and applications for credits and incentives.
Over the course of her career, Amy has spent half her time practicing estate planning; and she has extensive experience with sophisticated estate and tax planning for individuals and families of significant means, including drafting complex wills, revocable and irrevocable trusts, GRATs, CLATs, CRUTs, LITs and FLPs. Amy’s estate experience also includes probating simple and complex estates — including overseeing challenging valuation matters — and preparing and filing 706 and 1041 tax returns.
Prior to joining MendenFreiman, she was an associate at Gomel Davis & Watson, LLP, practicing in similar areas. Prior to her time at Gomel, Davis & Watson, LLP, Amy was employed as a tax attorney with a Fortune 500 energy company and gained experience in corporate tax matters and energy credits and incentives.
“I enjoy working with my clients to turn big problems into small problems.”
- Louisiana State University Law School, J.D., 2012
- Louisiana State University Law School, D.C.L. (Diploma of Comparative Law), 2012
- University of Nevada Las Vegas, B.A., Psychology, 2005
- Represented business client with multimillion dollar payroll tax liabilities through a half million dollar penalty abatement and into “currently not collectible” status, helping the CEO avoid criminal charges.
- Represented a client in stock purchase of a larger multistate manufacturing company.
- Completed the double probate of a $30 million estate with multiple businesses in several states.
- Successfully negotiated a $15 million tax liability to a $4.5 million settlement with the IRS
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, member
- Atlanta Bar Association, member
- North Atlanta Tax Council, member
- American Bar Association, member
- Georgia Association for Women Lawyers, Board Member
- Financial Planning Association of Georgia, former Board Member
Awards and Recognition
- Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” – 2022
- Super Lawyers Rising Star – 2021