J.W. Chris Chitty
Chris Chitty is a senior attorney in MendenFreiman’s tax controversy and collection and tax planning practice areas. He joined the firm in 2019 and has experience representing individual and business clients during tax audits, tax appeals, and tax collection procedures before the Internal Revenue Service as well as various state tax authorities. Chris’ typical engagements include:
- Representing taxpayers currently under audit and filing audit reconsiderations for prior audits.
- Filing penalty abatement requests and requests for innocent spouse relief.
- Negotiating offers in compromise, installment agreements, and “currently not collectible” status.
- Stopping collection action such as wage garnishments, bank levies, and asset levies.
- Negotiating tax lien releases, lien withdrawals, and tax lien discharges.
- Representing clients at appeals conferences and other administrative hearings.
- Representing business owners with payroll and employment tax issues.
- Defending clients with “trust fund” recovery penalty issues.
Prior to joining MendenFreiman, Chris was a senior associate at Gomel Davis & Watson, LLP. He previously worked at Ernst & Young in the Tax Services Group, where he gained experience dealing with tax controversy issues and numerous federal and state tax credits, as well as performing multi-state sales and use tax nexus studies. He also worked at the Georgia State University College of Law’s Phillip C. Cook Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic where he assisted low-income taxpayers with federal tax controversy and collection issues.
“Facing the IRS or a state tax authority is an exceedingly difficult and stressful situation for most people and businesses. Relieving my clients of that burden is immensely satisfying, and I feel fortunate that my work affords me the opportunity to do that on a daily basis.”
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, LL.M. Taxation, 2010
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, with Highest Distinction, 2009
- University of Georgia, B.A., Criminal Justice & Political Science, 2003
Federal and State Court Admissions
- United States Tax Court
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Retained by a client following her over five-year battle with the IRS which resulted in multiple levies, including the seizure of the proceeds from the sale of her home. Chris’ strategy of filing and negotiating a U.S. Tax Court Petition resulted in the client receiving a refund in excess of $760,000, plus a payment for over $100,000 in interest.
- Contested the assessment from an IRS audit of a small business owner by filing a U.S. Tax Court Petition to secure a reduction of the taxes assessed by more than $540,000.
- Negotiated a Request for Innocent Spouse Relief on behalf of a client who was recently divorced to secure a reduction of her tax liability in excess of $380,000.
- Submitted an Audit Reconsideration that resulted in a liability in excess of $260,000 in income taxes being reduced to less than $10,000.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, member
- Virginia State Bar, member
- Atlanta Bar Association, member
- North Atlanta Tax Council, member
- American Bar Association, member
Awards and Recognition
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars – 2018-2019
- The Senator Paul D. Coverdell Tax Clinic Award – 2008-2009