James (Jim) A. Tramonte
Jim Tramonte is Of Counsel in MendenFreiman’s estate planning, estate administration, tax, and business law practice areas. He joined the firm in 2021 and limits his practice to counseling closely held businesses and high net worth individuals on asset protection, wealth preservation, succession planning and income and estate/gift tax planning.
He has previously served as General Counsel of a $200 million healthcare service provider and as Chief Legal Officer of its $40 million public company spin-off. Jim then served as General Counsel of a premier home service provider, making acquisitions that resulted in revenue growth from $22 million to $85 million. He was then promoted to Executive Vice President with executive operational responsibilities. This experience enables Jim to advise the firm’s clients with the perspective of an executive decision maker and has resulted in his reputation for taking a practical and astute approach to balancing business opportunities with legal risks.
Prior to joining MendenFreiman, Jim was Of Counsel with Miller & Martin PLLC.
“Helping clients create and preserve lasting family legacies is at the core of what we do. This includes providing counsel that integrates a client’s personal values with their estate planning goals.”
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. Taxation, 1977
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 1976
- University of New Orleans, B.S. in Accounting, 1973
Federal Court Admissions
- United States Tax Court
- Certified Public Accountant, Inactive, 1976
- Developed business succession plan for preservation of family legacy centered on intergenerational family business and facilitated transition to younger generation, while achieving meaningful estate and income tax savings for family.
- Counseled client in developing legacy plan to maintain family harmony, where estate was comprised of complex asset holdings, including family business
founded in the 19th century. Plan included concepts to encourage ongoing interaction of family members in cooperative decision making while empowering and incenting those operating the business for success. Tax efficiencies and asset protection elements of the plan provided additional advantages for the family.
- Advised “early retired” public company executive with tax savings ideas for transition and asset protection of nest egg prior to entering the entrepreneurial start-up arena.
- Provided tax counsel to private equity funds in structuring investments.
Professional Affiliations And Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, member
- Tennessee Bar Association, member
- Georgia Society of CPAs, member
Awards and Recognition
- Super Lawyers – 2007-2016
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite – 2009, 2011-2018
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating – AV® Preeminent™