Jeffrey H. Kess
Jeffrey Kess is a partner in MendenFreiman’s tax controversy and collection and tax planning practice areas. He joined the firm in 2019 and has practiced taxation and general business law for more than 35 years. He has achieved national recognition for his expertise in the field of tax controversy. Jeffrey has represented thousands of clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the State of Georgia, and other state taxing authorities. Jeffrey also works closely with CPAs in devising strategies to eliminate or minimize potential taxes, penalties, and interest for their clients.
Jeffrey has served in leadership positions with numerous professional and community organizations. He has shared his knowledge and experience by speaking to a wide variety of groups, including the Georgia Society of CPAs, the State Bar of Georgia, the Family Law Section and the Tax Section of the Atlanta Bar Association, The North Atlanta Tax Council, the National Business Institute, and the Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia.
Prior to joining MendenFreiman, Jeffrey was a partner at Gomel Davis & Watson, LLP.
“I am passionate about formulating strategies to help my clients eliminate or minimize potential taxes, penalties, and interest so they can live the American Dream!”
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 1981
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., Business Administration, magna cum laude, with distinction, 1979
- Certified Public Accountant, 1985
- Represented a client who failed to report approximately $45 million over an eight-year period. The State of Georgia initiated an investigation into this matter – all state criminal tax charges were avoided.
- Represented a client who failed to pay income taxes that resulted in an over $15 mil-lion tax liability. Using a Federal Offer in Compromise, Jeffrey was able to negotiate a settlement of $4.5 million.
- Represented a client who failed to pay payroll taxes resulting in a liability of $450,000. Jeffrey was able to negotiate a. Federal Offer in Compromise to settle for $2,000.
- Represented a client in the entertainment industry for whom the State of Georgia had assessed sales taxes in excess of $1 million. Jeffrey successfully persuaded the state to cancel the assessments, saving the client over $1 million
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, member
- Atlanta Bar Association, member
- North Atlanta Tax Council, Director (Former President)
- Georgia Society of CPAs, member
- Southeast Region IRS/Bar Liaison Committee, Co-Chair
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating – Distinguished®4.6 out of 5.0
- CPA Magazine “Top 50 IRS Representation Practitioners in the Nation,” 2008
- CPA Magazine “Top 40 Tax Advisors to Know During a Recession,” 2009
- Best Lawyer, 2015 – 2019