Thomas W. Cox
Thomas joined MendenFreiman in 2018 and is an associate in the firm’s business law and outside general counsel practice area. He provides legal counsel to small and medium-sized businesses on a variety of corporate and transactional matters, including business and corporate representation, entity structuring, incentive plans, licensing agreements, employment law and related agreements, trademark and copyright clearance and related registration.
What Thomas enjoys best about practicing law is establishing meaningful relationships with clients to help serve not only as legal counsel, but as a strategic advisor. Prior to joining MendenFreiman, he was with Hall, Arbery, Gilligan, Roberts & Shanlever and worked as a Law Clerk for U.S. Magistrate Brian K. Epps, Southern District of Georgia.
“Protecting clients, through effective and efficient legal counsel, is my goal on every engagement. Through doing so, I am able to provide clients with legal solutions that allow their businesses to thrive and grow.”
- Vanderbilt University, J.D., 2014
- University of Georgia, B.B.A., Finance, magna cum laude, 2011
- Prepared and negotiated an asset purchase in relation to the acquisition of a personally owned small business.
- Advised and negotiated on franchise agreement, associated restrictive covenants, and exclusive territory for a fitness franchise.
- Represented a national restaurant chain in negotiating a master vendor agreement with a publicly-owned supplier.
- Represented a minority shareholder in negotiating a promissory note and interest pledge agreement ancillary to a large settlement agreement.
- Served as counsel to a C-Suite executive in relation to an equity incentive plan and compensation agreement regarding a transition in the company.
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia, Labor & Employment Section, member
Awards and Recognition
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite – 2020
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars – 2020-2021
- Contributor, Chapter 2 – “Mergers and Acquisitions” in Employee Benefits in Mergers and Acquisitions, Wolters Kluwer Publishers (2019-2020 edition)